Re: st: Stata syntax with GVIM

From (Jeff Pitblado, StataCorp LP)
Subject   Re: st: Stata syntax with GVIM
Date   Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:05:49 -0600

Dimitriy V. Masterov <> asks how to get gvim
(the Windows GUI version of the Vim text editor) to automatically identify do-
and ado-files:

> I am trying to integrate the stata.vim syntax file with the gvim text
> editor for Windows, but I am having trouble getting Stata to show up on
> the list of supported filetypes. I put the file  in the syntax folder with
> all the other .vim files. Ideally I would like the syntax highlighting to
> work automatically whenever I open a .do or .ado file, but I am not sure
> how to get this to work. The excellent discussion of vim at
> does not provide any guidance with this, my search of statalist
> archives has come up dry and the VIM manual does not mention this problem.
> If anyone has encountered this issue before, I would be most grateful.

There are instructions on this at:

There is online documentation (with much greater detail).  From within gvim
type the following:

	:help new-filetype