st: RE: Survival Analysis Issue

From   "Stephen P. Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Survival Analysis Issue
Date   Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:18:38 -0000

... snip ...

> Our questions are:
>
> 1. Can STATA deal with both cases of left and right censoring
> and left truncation (delayed entry) simultaneously?
> 2. Should we be only using those workers who joined after Apr
> 1996 and
> throw away those cases who joined before 1996 (due to left
> censoring).

You have interval-censored (banded) survival time data, a.k.a. discrete
time data.
for which it is no problem at all to handle left-truncated data combined
with right censoring.
[Have a look at the lecture notes and Stata lessons at
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/teaching/stephenj/ec968/index.php]

Left-censored data is more problematic. It's straighforward to handle if
you are prepared to assume that the hazard rate does not vary with
survival time. That's a strong, probably unacceptable, assumption -- but
you might want to see what happens.
Otherwise the standard way of handling the left-censoring is to drop
those spells.

> 3. We would like to predict which worker is likely to leave
> and when. It
> means calculating probability of failure and expected time of
> failure for
> next few years for right censored workers on the basis of
> observation
> period data (April 1996 to July 2002). If right censored
> cases are many, does it effect
> the quality of predictions. I suppose these predictions should
> be limited to only next 6 years as our observation span is
> only for 6
> years.
> Have anybody written any macros or programmes in Stata to
> carry out these predictions
> by considering the above mentioned issues and type of data we
> have using survival
> analysis framework?

If you look at the lessons on discrete time models cited above, you'll
see examples of Stata code showing how to do within-sample and
out-of-sample predictions of the sort that you are asking about.

Stephen
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk