RE: st: RE: scalar troubles?

From   David Kantor <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: scalar troubles?
Date   Wed, 05 Nov 2003 11:02:21 -0500

At 02:45 PM 11/5/2003 +0000, Nick Cox wrote:

2. An early (I guess) decision with -display-
was that -display- doesn't choke on a bare variable
name, but looks inside the first observation.
Odd, often surprising, occasionally useful?

(This applies not just to -display-, but to any context that refers to a single value, rather than the whole dataset's set of values.)

I also find it odd, and have never found it useful. Does anyone find it useful? I would not have designed it that way, and have always found it to be a potential source of error rather than a convenience.

Any other opinions?

-- David

David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies