Re: st: color graph copying to microsoft word 2002

From (Shannon Driver, StataCorp)
Subject   Re: st: color graph copying to microsoft word 2002
Date   Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:17:32 -0600

Steven Stillman <> wrote:

> I just recently upgraded to stata 8.2 from 7.0 and also upgraded from MS
> Word 97 to 02 all on a PC.  Previously, with my graph clipboard settings on
> color in graph preferences, if I copied and pasted a color graph into Word
> (using the right-mouse menu) it would show up in color.  Now, in the same
> circumstances it shows up in b-w.  I am wondering if any one else has
> experienced this problem and knows of a solution.  The hardest part in
> solving this problem is that it could be occurring either because of changes
> in default behavior in Stata or in Word.  I have tried changing the graph
> clipboard setting in Stata (to automatic and as is) but this hasn't helped.

Friedrich Huebler <> replied:

> This problem was discussed on the list previously. One suggestion was
> to update the printer driver.

It sounds as if you may be using the old Stata 7 style graphs (-graph7-).  If
this is the case, you may need to change the clipboard settings the way you
did in Stata 7.  To bring up the dialog to do so, you can type

	. oldgprefs

In the resulting dialog, click on the Clipboard tab and then select the scheme
that you would like to use.  After that, click OK.

Now, create a graph and click on the Graph window.  You can now either click on
Edit -> Copy Graph or simply press Ctrl+C to copy the graph to the clipboard.

Finally, in Word, or in whatever application you wish to paste the graph, click
on Edit -> Paste or press Ctrl+V to paste the graph.

If this does not work and you continue to have problems, please email Stata's
Technical Services for support.  You can send an email to  We will be glad to assist.

--Shannon Driver