st: Joinby (without the nonsense)

From   "Clive Nicholas" <>
Subject   st: Joinby (without the nonsense)
Date   Sun, 2 Nov 2003 22:01:03 -0000 (GMT)

Thanks for the advice; I've read it carefully. :)

Indeed a variable such as "ldm?pc" is not a legal variable: I know that if
I were to enter a variable with '?' in it, Stata would not accept it; but
it *does* with a '£' in it, yet shows up as a '?' in the data editor (and
as a '£' in the variables box). As I said before, I performed a -joinby-
very recently including these variables, and it worked without any major
hitches. What I do not understand is why it has not this time, despite
carefully labelling the variables the same in both datasets.

The FAQ gives advice on how to post questions.

This is difficult to answer, except that
I wonder if your assertion of "nonsense"

> They were named 'ldmpc', 'beldm', 'ldm£pc' (which shows up
> as ldm?pc in
> the spreadsheet, but that's fine) and 'beldmwin': Stata
> claimed these
> variables didn't exist; which was nonsense as they do in
> both datasets.

arises from looking at some early observation, say the
first, in the data editor. Certainly not even "ldm?pc" is
a legal variable name in Stata.

Politics Building,
School of Geography, Politics and Sociology,
University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne,
NE1 7RU,
United Kingdom.