st: Joinby (without the nonsense)

From   "Clive Nicholas" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Joinby (without the nonsense)
Date   Sun, 2 Nov 2003 22:01:03 -0000 (GMT)

Thanks for the advice; I've read it carefully. :)

Indeed a variable such as "ldm?pc" is not a legal variable: I know that if
I were to enter a variable with '?' in it, Stata would not accept it; but
it *does* with a '�' in it, yet shows up as a '?' in the data editor (and
as a '�' in the variables box). As I said before, I performed a -joinby-
very recently including these variables, and it worked without any major
hitches. What I do not understand is why it has not this time, despite
carefully labelling the variables the same in both datasets.

The FAQ gives advice on how to post questions.

http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq/#advice

This is difficult to answer, except that
I wonder if your assertion of "nonsense"

> They were named 'ldmpc', 'beldm', 'ldm�pc' (which shows up
> as ldm?pc in
> the spreadsheet, but that's fine) and 'beldmwin': Stata
> claimed these
> variables didn't exist; which was nonsense as they do in
> both datasets.

arises from looking at some early observation, say the
first, in the data editor. Certainly not even "ldm?pc" is
a legal variable name in Stata.

Yours,
CLIVE NICHOLAS,
Politics Building,
School of Geography, Politics and Sociology,
University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne,
Newcastle-upon-Tyne,
NE1 7RU,
United Kingdom.