st: Joinby

From   "Clive Nicholas" <>
Subject   st: Joinby
Date   Sun, 2 Nov 2003 05:16:04 -0000 (GMT)

I'm having joining two large unbalanced-panel datasets using -joinby-.
Normally, it's OK, but it wouldn't obey the command for three variables.
They were named 'ldmpc', 'beldm', 'ldm£pc' (which shows up as ldm?pc in
the spreadsheet, but that's fine) and 'beldmwin': Stata claimed these
variables didn't exist; which was nonsense as they do in both datasets. I
changed them all to 'lib' in their names: still red errors. Checking -help
joinby- suggested specifying nothing, but obeying this suggestion only
joined up those variables it *did* recognise. I'm puzzled by this, as I
carried out a -joinby- using these very datasets a few days ago. Any

Politics Building,
School of Geography, Politics and Sociology,
University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne,
NE1 7RU,
United Kingdom.