st: Re: Quadrature Points

Subject   st: Re: Quadrature Points
Date   Sat, 1 Nov 2003 10:19:19 -0500

I would suggest (based on this and some prior posts), that you try to follow
Statalist etiquette a little more closely -- the built-in help system should
at least be consulted before you ask the list.

If you want to know "what on Earth 'quadrature points' are, anyway", you
could with -help xtprobit- which states:

"For the random-effects model, the likelihood (for an independent unit i) is
expressed as an integral which is computed using Gauss-Hermite quadrature.
After fitting your final model, you may want to run quadchk to check the
numerical soundness of the Gauss-Hermite quadrature approximation; see help
quadchk and [XT] quadchk for details."

The help file also mentions the quad() option.

If you then wanted to learn more about what Gauss Hermite quadrature is, I
would suggest you start with a Google search.

(By the way, I don't have an answer for you question)

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]