st: quotes and dialog boxes

From   Michael Hills <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: quotes and dialog boxes
Date   Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:14:11 +0000

Dave Moore wrote:

> The user should
> not expect to have to quote strings.  The quotes are required by command line
> parsers, but this is a dialog box.

But in some dialog boxes it is necessary to quote strings, eg when
entering 1 "Girls" 2 "Boys" in the label box under a legends tab.

As a user in search of simple principles I would have preferred that
the label dialog box followed the rule that omitting quotes would
give an error message (not including them), behaviour we are used to
from the command line version.

The rule would then be: put in the quotes if the command line needs
them, otherwise leave them out. But I can see that this clashes with a
purity of style conerning dialog boxes.

--
Michael Hills