Re: st: Re: Stata do-file Editor

From   "Renzo Comolli" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Stata do-file Editor
Date   Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:29:29 -0500

Dear Alan and StataList,

I voice my opinion here without assuming I am speaking for more people than
myself. On the plus side of my post, what I suggest may require a bit of
work, but (if feasible) could not possibly make any user unhappy.

>>We had several complaints from users who copied rich text from another
>>application into Stata's Do-file Editor and were surprised when the
>>formatting of that text was maintained when it was pasted.
This was an annoyance for me too, but it was a negligible annoyance for me.

>>To force the text to be the same font and color used in the Do-file
>>Editor, we changed a little bit of the code in the editor for the
>>28 Oct 2003 update.  After a user pastes text into the editor, all
>>of the text in the editor is quickly selected,
I find the changing of color (due to the selecting-deselecting) very
annoying. Although I admit the annoyance is compounded by the sea-sickness
effect caused by the scrolling/counter-scrolling, so maybe I'll get used to
the former once the latter is fixed

I propose the following: the creation of two new commands:
. set doeditor txt [, permanently]
/* this command would make the doeditor behave like NotePad in the sense
that any formatting would be ignored */

. set doeditor old_behavior [, permanently]
/* this command would bring back the behavior of version 8.1 */

Separately, I want to thank Ulrich Kohler and Nick Cox for their references.
Although, I learnt a lot from that page on text editors and I did make use
of it to set up both NotePad and WordPad as alternative editors, I would
much rather keep on using the doeditor. The reason is the "do selection" and
"do to bottom" feature, that I use hundreds of times a day. When I will
remember the advice in the future when I'll engage in more complex
programming.
Moreover, the fact that my wish came true
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2003-10/msg00331.html and a key
shortcut has been added for "do to bottom", I would feel a betrayer to
abandon the doeditor :)

Best Regards,
Renzo Comolli

----
>From   [email protected] (Alan Riley)
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Stata do-file Editor
Date   Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:38:20 -0600

----

A few users have commented on a change in the behavior of the Do-file
Editor under Windows.

The Do-file Editor is based on a Windows rich text field.  By default,
rich text fields allow 'rich text' (text with different formatting
attributes such as various fonts and colors) to be pasted into them.

We had several complaints from users who copied rich text from another
application into Stata's Do-file Editor and were surprised when the
formatting of that text was maintained when it was pasted.

To force the text to be the same font and color used in the Do-file
Editor, we changed a little bit of the code in the editor for the
28 Oct 2003 update.  After a user pastes text into the editor, all
of the text in the editor is quickly selected, set to the proper font
and color, and then the cursor is set back to the position it should
have been at after the paste.

It appears that even after setting the cursor back to the current position,
Windows is leaving the editor scrolled all the way to the top.  We will
fix this in the next update.

In the meantime, however, it is very easy to work around this.  After
pasting text, merely tap the right or left arrow key and the editor will
jump back to the insertion point of the text.

--Alan
([email protected])