re: st: Stata for the Macintosh News

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   re: st: Stata for the Macintosh News
Date   Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:00:58 -0600

Chinh Nguyen wrote:

Stata for Macintosh and the G5
------------------------------

We've received many inquiries as to if and when we will provide support for
the G5 and/or offer a 64-bit version of Stata. The simple answer is when the
tools are available for us to do so.

Our developer tools do not currently offer optimization support for the G5.
We have however investigated Apple's developer tools and saw little to no
gains when optimizing for the G5. Stata already runs quite quickly due to
the faster processing speed of the G5 and its two floating-point units.

A 64-bit version will be forthcoming as soon as our developer tools allow us
to produce one.

Nice additions to Stata for OS X.

If there is no drastic _loss_ in optimization, the gain in use of more RAM would seem worth using Apple's developer tools. If you use a set of developer tools whose business interests are not primarily Apple's, what timetable are we talking here? Wasn't this the point of Apple providing these tools at no cost? I must be missing something here.

I've been slogging through learning R recently to use NMLE/LME that is not available in StataSE, and I can't help sneaking back in for all other problems I have to solve or graph. Sigh!

-Dave

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/