Re: st: Re: mean and median comparison

From   Ramani Gunatilaka <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: mean and median comparison
Date   Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:39:33 +0000

Hi,
I'm rather new to this, and someone else might like to confirm this - but if you don't know the distribution of a statistic and want to verify its accuracy or compare it with the same statistic of another sample, you can use the bootstrap method. See Efron B. and R. Tibshirani (1993) An Introduction to the Bootstrap, New York, Chapman & Hall. Stata has a bootstrap command and the manual gives quite a good description of it.
Ramani