st: RE: RE: Making bar charts readable in a grayscale photocopy.

From   Lee Sieswerda <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Making bar charts readable in a grayscale photocopy.
Date   Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:27:13 -0500

Nick already answered your question about getting a CI on a barchart. He's
quick! Of course, he's probably also recipient number one on the listserver,
so I think he gets postings about 40 minutes before I do.

Anyway, you have the worst kind of data to graph: sparse and categorical and
you want to show all of it. But there are things you can try.

1. It sounds like you have categories that sum to 100%. This is an advantage
because, if so, you can omit the largest category and instead concentrate on
the smaller numbers. This is basically what Nick suggested earlier when he
wrote about putting the data on different scales.

2. Since no one responded to category 4, you can easily combine it with one
of the other categories and not lose any information. (Either that or you've
just made a coding error and there is no category 4).

3. Given #1 above, you can use a stacked bar chart. This is often a
deprecated graph type, for good reason, but I think it could be useful here
(desperate data calls for desperate chart types). Another often deprecated
feature that you should exploit because of your missing data is line
connectors between the stacked categories (often considered chart junk, but
necessary here).  Stack the categories so that they add up to (100% -
category0). Use a gray gradient so that the highest level (black) is at the
right-hand side. The line connectors should make it clear where the missing
data is. And finally, the order of the countries will be critical to making
the graph readable. I don't know what pattern you are trying to show, so I
can't say exactly what I'd do, but here is a first stab: try putting country
number 7 first and put text labels on top of each of the bar segments to
establish the categories. Arrange the rest of the countries below in such an
order that the line connectors make clear any pattern you are trying to
establish.

4. I would find this challenging to do in Stata, although I have no doubt it
can be done. To save myself many hours of fiddling, I'd probably use Excel
(sshhhh... don't tell anyone).

5. If there is no clear pattern that you are trying to show, then forget
everything I've said above, and instead put the data in a table in an
appendix at the back! A graph is for showing a pattern, not for merely
displaying raw data. That's what tables are for.

This will make an ugly graph. It wouldn't be suitable for publication in a
journal probably. If you can't get anything that looks clear, put it in a
table instead.

Regards,
Lee

Lee Sieswerda, Epidemiologist