Re: st: Cluster Analysis

From   Michel Camus <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Cluster Analysis
Date   Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:11:08 -0400

Nick Cox wrote:

Janet Noble wrote:

I have inherited a dataset consisting of 40 variables (binary, categorical and continuous) which may be diagnostic predictors of the state of a tumour. I was going to use cluster analysis using Gower's coefficient of similarity (Cluster Analysis, Everitt et al) to find which variables best predict the tumour state but this does not appear to be implemented in Stata 8. Is there any other coefficicient or a completely different analysis I could use in Stata. I really do not want to buy another statistical package but I will if I have to.

Given the clear identification of a response variable, this doesn't sound like a cluster analysis problem at all. Which predictive model(s) is or are appropriate will depend on how tumour state is quantified.
Nick [email protected]
Janet,
I agree with Nick. What is your rationale for cluster analysis? Where would your predicted outcome variable appear in such an analysis? How would you maximize the predictive power of your exporatory model?
Usually, cancer staging should be best modelled with ordered logistic regression.
Unordered polytomous logistic regression can be used to explore peculiarities of individual stages but it will be less parcimonious than ordered regression and will tend to "overfit" your sample for each stage with less generalisability to other populations. Michel
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Michel Camus, Ph.D.

�pid�miologue, Div. Biostatistique et �pid�miologie, DGSESC, Sant� Canada

Epidemiologist, Biostatistics and Epidemiology Div., HECSB, Health Canada

Courriel / e-mail : [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>

T�l�phone / phone : (514) 850-0157

T�l�copieur / fax : (514) 850-0836

*
* For searches and help try: