Re: st: Re: openning an SPSS file

From   Garry Anderson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: openning an SPSS file
Date   Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:43:43 +1000

Hi,

There is a potential trap with the approach of 'saving as' a tab delimited file in SPSS and importing into Stata using 'insheet using filename'

If there is a missing value (no entry of a number) in any of the observations for a numeric variable in SPSS, SPSS outputs a space character in the saved tab-delimited file. When the file is read by Stata via 'insheet using filename', the space character converts the numeric variable into a string variable and doing the -summ var- command in Stata says that there are zero observations for this variable. This is because it is a string variable. I think that there is no need for SPSS to output a space character, but that is the way it is. Deleting the space character(s) in the tab-delimited file resolves the problem, but it is only a workaround. This occurs with Stata7 and Stata8.

Anothe workaround in Stata is to use
-destring, replace-

Regards, Garry
[email protected]