Re: st: bug in graph combine?

From   [email protected] (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: bug in graph combine?
Date   Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:24:02 -0500

Michael Blasnik <[email protected]> reports that -graph combine- is
not respecting the scales set on the graphs being combined,

> I think I've found a bug (bad feature?) in graph combine.  I have
> created graphs for each panel of a panel dataset.  I used a loop to
> get panel-specific reference ylines and I also forced the yscale to
> go through 0 on all graphs and added a reference line at y=0 to each
> graph.  When I -graph use- any of these graphs' .gph files, they
> show up just like I want them.  But when I -graph combine- any 2 or
> more of them, the yscale gets redefined specific to each graph's
> data, ignoring the actual graphs' setting for yscale (and the yline
> at 0 if 0 isn't within the redefined axes).  I see there's an option
> for graph combine to put all graphs on a common yscale, but that's
> not what I want.  I just want graph combine to respect the actual
> graphs created and saved in the .gph files.  Is there any way to
> make this happen?  Is this a bug?

On first attempt, I cannot reproduce this, though admittedly there are several
ways to "forced the yscale to go through 0".  Michael, I suggest you send as
much detail about this as you can to Stata technical services
<[email protected]>, including datasets and do-files if possible, and
.gph files and your combine command if not.

-- Vince