st: multiple instances of Stata in OSX

From   Richard Sherman <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: multiple instances of Stata in OSX
Date   Thu, 9 Oct 2003 12:10:34 -0400

Hello all,

There was a thread a little while back in which Jesper Sorenson asked:

I have recently switched to a Mac laptop using OS-X. One thing I seem unable to do, which I can do in Windows, is run multiple instances of Stata at the same time. I'm quite addicted to such behavior since I can have different data sets open at the same time. Any solutions?

...and James Jetton answered:

Open terminal and type:
./'/Applications/Stata/Stata.bin' &
This will open a new instance of Stata (note that there is a space before the &).
There is probably an easier way, but this works...

...but I'd have imagined that the clever folks at Stata would have included some GUI way to do this. Is this the only way to run multiple instances in OSX? As far as I can tell, the issue isn't discussed in the documentation.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard Sherman
Assistant Professor, Political Science
Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
Syracuse University
http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/maxpages/faculty/sherman

*
* For searches and help try: