st: Graph troubles tip (was -sunflower-)

From   Bill Rising <[email protected]>
To   "Stata Listserve" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Graph troubles tip (was -sunflower-)
Date   Sat, 4 Oct 2003 16:06:52 -0400

On 10/2/03 12:14, Vince Wiggins, StataCorp wrote

>Stephen Jenkins <[email protected]> reports that after installing the
>latest ado update and NOT exiting Stata, he cannot draw the new sunflower
>plots,
>
>> I have -update-d to 30 Sept ado, which installs the new official
>> -sunflower- command.  Clicking on the examples in the help file
>> leads to a graph with the axes and legend being drawn, but there is
>> no sunflower itself drawn that I can see.  Am I missing something
>> (other than good eye sight)?
>> [...]
>
>Willard van Ooij <[email protected]> reports no problem and Stephen
>and Willard have correctly concluded that the problem stems from not
>restarting Stata.

I was seeing the same troubles as Stephen Jenkins saw after getting the
last batch of ados (30 Sept) and the latest executable (26 Sept). I've
been -discard-ing all day, since I'm writing some ado files. I've even
stopped and restarted Stata twice.

Turns out the problem had been that I'd backed up the Stata folder with
an old version of Stuffit, so some long file names for some of the
graphics classes had become corrupted.

So... if you're seeing troubles even after -discard-ing or restarting
Stata, you might try pulling your profile.do out of Stata's folder (along
with whatever else you may have put there), reinstalling, updating, and
then moving everything back.

Bill