Re: st: subpop with svy commands

From   "L Allen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: subpop with svy commands
Date   Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:36:06 +0000

Ritesh,
When I have run into this problem, I have created a new dichotomous variable. So, if you create a variable =1 for being in category 1 and =0 for all others and use this in combination with your subpop command that removes categories 3&4 from the point estimates, but keeps their sampling information for the variance estimates, the only categories left to be tabulated in the "all others" value of your new dichotomous variables are category 2 respondents.
Rich Clerkin

From: "Ritesh Mistry" <[email protected]>
To: "statalist" <[email protected]>
Subject: st: subpop with svy commands
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:40:28 -0700

hello statalisters,

i am using survey procedures to analyze data, and need to select a subsample
on which to conduct all my analysis. i understand that the subpop option
needs to be used and i have to create a variable which identifies the
subsample. i have done this but something unexpected happens.

one criteria for exclusion from the subsample are responses that i am not
interested in for certain variables (e.g. for variable A there are 4 [1, 2,
3, 4] categories, but i am only interested in those that responded either 1
and 2). Although the variable indicating the subsample correctly identifies
only those that responded 1 or 2, when i run any analysis using the subpop
command (e.g. in svytab), i get a table with cells for all four categories,
and the cells for categories 3 & 4 are empty. what i expected was to get a
table with cells for only categories 1 and 2.

any advice on how to deal with this.

as an alternative i designated categories 3 and 4 as missing so they would
not be included in the analysis, but this creates another problem: the
sample size becomes small enough so that there are some strata with only one
PSU (this requires that i combine strata, which i really don't want to do
but may have too). is it appropriate to designate categories 3 and 4 as
missing?

i am sure i am missing something.

thanks!!

ritesh