st: Re: GLM and ANOVA complaints

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: GLM and ANOVA complaints
Date   Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:40:15 +0900

Friedrich Huebler wrote:

--- Joseph Coveney <[email protected]> wrote:
> -anova- took 25 minutes including floppy disc access time to
> log the output.

How long does it take when you log the output to a hard drive?

Friedrich Huebler

Beats me.  Perhaps it'd be noticeably shorter, although it truly ought not
to be very different.

I only mentioned it because:

- Stata provides the ANOVA table piecemeal as the interim results become
available, so there were a number of diskette accesses throughout the
25-minute run.

- Floppy disc activity on my laptop gives the impression of not being very
well buffered, although the impression could easily be more the result of a
generally untrusting outlook these days when it comes to PCs and the
suspicion that the brand-name vendor chose low-bidder-OEM components..

- And I assume for historical reasons that disc I/O enjoys a high-priority
interupt level.

Joseph Coveney