st: RE: generating simple index

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: generating simple index
Date   Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:09:29 +0100

Vimalanand S. Prabhu

> I have a household data set with varying number of
> respondents interviewed
> from a each household, like the following:
>
> person hhid Age
> 1	1	12
> 2	2	25
> 3	2	52
> 4	3	62
> 5	4	77
> 6	4 	34
> 7 	4	32
> 8	4	23
> 9	5	18
> 10	5	13
> :
> :
> :
>
> I wanted to convert the data from rows to columns...ie...I
> wanted it in a
> form as follows:
>
> hhid personid1 	age1 personid2 	age2 personid3 age3 ....
> 1	1		12
> 2	2		25	3		52
> 3	4		62
> 5	10		13

Why? Most analyses will be much more difficult
like this.

(-reshape- is one answer, but, to repeat, I don't think
it will make your analysis much easier here.)

> I would also like to know about some references for
> advanced programming in Stata.

What is your definition of "advanced programming"?
Something more advanced than the Programming manual [P]?