RE: SPAM: st: Simultaneous Equations Models

From   "Olley, G. Steven" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: SPAM: st: Simultaneous Equations Models
Date   Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:20:26 -0400

Will someone please explain why this is labeled SPAM?  Is NERA adding this
to the subject line or was this on the original message?  How can I find
out?  I have an outstanding request and am waiting to hear why email related
to Stata, a program we use every day, is labeled SPAM.  Any explanation
would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve.

-----Original Message-----
From: dyap82 [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 1:44 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: SPAM: st: Simultaneous Equations Models

Dear Renzo

Thanks for your reply but I think I confused you a bit with my
questions so I'll rephrase exactly what I am asking.

Is it possible to test endogeneity in the following model:

Y1 = a0 + a1Y1 + a3X3 + e1
Y2 = a0 + a2Y2 + a4X4 +e1

When

1. Y1 and Y2 are binary (I am using Maddala (1983) to manipulate the
covariances to get correct standard errors)
2. Y1 is binary and Y2 is continuous (I am using CDSIMEQ)

I'll post my inverse mills question again in another mail to avoid
confusion as its a different issue.

Thanks again

Danny

--- In [email protected], "Renzo Comolli"
<renzo.comolli@y...> wrote:
> Hi Danny,
>
> Your email is full of questions
> I try to answer some of them, to the best of my knowledge, but be
advised
> that I am NOT an expert
> My best advice is to type
> . help heckman
> . help hausman
> and start from there (it is convenction of this list to put a dot
before
> commands you can type as is in stata, but you have to type them
without the
> dot)
> In the stata manual there is much more (the volueme called
reference G-M),
> you should really try to read the manual with a professor or a
teaching
> assistant to help you
>
> >>I was wondering if is a way to test endogeneity in the following
model
> >>Y1= a0 + a1Y1 + a3X2 + e1
> >>Y2 = a0 + a2Y2 + a4X2 +e1
>
> Either there are a lot of typos, or the system is not identified
and don't
> think there is anything you can do.
>
> If you mean a Heckman type model, then it should look more like
this
> Y1= a0        + a3X2 + e1
> Y2= b0 + b1X3 + a4X2 + e2
>
> >>Y1 is continuous, Y2 is binary
> Y1 is observed only if Y2 is positive and suitable assumption on
errors,
> Than this is the standard Heckman Two-steps set up
>
> . heckman Y1 X2, twostep select(X2 X3)
> Stata by default considers the constant, so you are all set with
that.

> The test for endogeneity is computed automatically by stata in the
Heckman