Re: st: Testing means of subgroups vs mean of full sample using svymean

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Testing means of subgroups vs mean of full sample using svymean
Date   Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:42:52 -0400

Arnold,

Thank you for your insights -- I didn't think about that...  The reason why I
wanted to do this in the first place was mainly for presentation-purposes: that
way, I could have the means of the different variables in the rows with the
various sub-samples in the columns of the table and then compare them with the
full sample means of the variables, which would then be in the right-most
column.  That was a great idea (or so I thought) but if it doesn't make sense
conceptually, then...

Cheers,

Niels-Hugo

                      "Arnold Levinson"
                      <[email protected]>                                                To:  <[email protected]>
                      Sent by:                         cc:
                      owner-statalist@hsphsun2.        Subject:  Re: st: Testing means of subgroups vs mean of full sample using svymean
                      harvard.edu

                      09/22/2003 10:03 AM
                      Please respond to
                      statalist

The difficulty here is that the two means are correlated because the mean of
the whole includes the subgroup. So perhaps it doesn't really make sense to
do this. A more common approach is to test each subgroup against the
remainder of the whole. If multiple such tests are used, a correction like
Scheffe or Bonferroni might also be appropriate.

Arnold H. Levinson, Ph.D.
Associate Scientist, Center for Behavioral and Community Studies
AMC Cancer Research Center
[email protected]
Assistant Professor of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics
University of Colorado School of Medicine
[email protected]
303.777.8801