RE: predict after by varlist: regress

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: predict after by varlist: regress
Date   Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:58:21 +0100

Oleksandr Shepotylo

> Is there possibility to use predict after estimation with by?
>
> For example, I estimated linear regression using file X1:
>
>       by pensiontype: reg pension age gender region_dummy
>
> then I wanted to predict pension using another file X2. But
> predict did not
> work after regression with by.

Not so; it works. The only question is whether it
works the way you think it should; evidently not.

The rule is that -predict- picks up the results
of the last model fitted. Thus after

. bysort foreign : regress mpg weight

. predict mpgpre

will pick up results for the last group of
-foreign- and use those -- and calculate predictions
for the whole data set unless you specify otherwise.

I guess what you want is some sort of
composite, a variable containing (in this example)

if foreign == 0
	predicted values from -regress mpg weight if
	foreign == 0-

if foreign == 1
	predicted values from -regress mpg weight if
	foreign == 1-

Here is one way of doing that, generalised,

gen predict = .
levels <varname>, local(levels)
qui foreach l of local levels {
	predict temp
	replace predict = temp if e(sample)
	// OR replace predict = temp if <varname> == `l'
	// depending on what you want, precisely
	drop temp
}

As said, this is a composite, but it may be what you
want.

If <varname> is string use "`l'" or `"`l'"' instead.