st: ssc whatsnew

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: ssc whatsnew
Date   Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:33:38 -0400

Glenn said

Thanks, Nick. That worked, so I've just written a tiny ado file
"mysscwhatsnew" that merely runs

view http://www.repec.org/docs/smcl.php, smcl

I'm curious what the problem actually is, but am happy to move on now
that I have a solution.

I cannot reproduce any problem with 'ssc whatsnew' using Stata 8.1 born 1 Jul 2003 (I have not downloaded the 9 Sep update yet). This must be some sort of caching problem. The official ssc whatsnew command, which you can view in your copy of Stata 7 or Stata 8 (as part of ssc.ado) indeed does something similar to the line above: actually, it copies that file rather than viewing it directly (viewing it, by the way, will not work in a console version of Stata; you will have to use type rather than view). But if you're getting stale output, there must be some issue with the refresh failing and the old version displaying instead.

Thanks
Kit