Re: st: help merge

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: help merge
Date   Tue, 09 Sep 2003 13:13:43 -0400

Indeed, -keep()- is a feature that is new in Stata 8.

In an earlier Stata version, you would need to do what Oscar Alberto Budar Mej�a had suggested. Here's a somewhat modified variant on that:

use master;
keep the variables you want to take, plus match-key variables;
sort on the match-key variables;
save as a tempfile;
use analytic;
merge using the tempfile created above;

I used to do this all the time. Thus I am very please that they added the -keep()- feature.

This also reminds us to state what version of Stata you use (if it is not the latest) when posing a question.

-- David