st: Re: Factor analysis of count data

From   "Sophia Rabe-Hesketh" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Factor analysis of count data
Date   Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:47:26 +0100

Dear Chihmao Hsieh,

You can estimate confirmatory factor models for count-data
(and many other response types) by maximum likelihood
using gllamm. gllamm uses adaptive quadrature to  evaluate
the likelihood. If your model involves only one or two factors,
it shouldn't take that long to estimate the model.

For more information on gllamm, see

http://www.iop.kcl.ac.uk/IoP/Departments/BioComp/programs/gllamm.html

You may find Chapter 4 of the gllamm manual useful.

Best regards,

Sophia

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chih-Mao Hsieh" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 6:13 PM
Subject: st: Factor analysis of count data

> Dear Statalisters,
>

> While work has been done on developing factor analytical methods for
non-normal data like categorical variables, less has been done until
recently on factor analysis of count data.  Is there any technical
information on how STATA might handle factor analysis of count data
(especially code)?  I've looked at the manuals but have not found good
stuff.  I expect my observations numbering in the tens of thousands, and
significant levels of overdispersion.