st: calculation between observations

From   Manchin Miriam <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: calculation between observations
Date   Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:38:56 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Statalist,

I have a dataset in the following form:

REPORTING	VALUE	TRADE	PARTNER	PRODUCT
group	8	4	001	9
a	.	3	001	9
b	.	1	001	9
group	6	8	002	7
a	.	8	002	7
group	5	4	003	7
b	.	3	003	7
c	.	1	003	7

So I have observations called group for which trade is the sum of the
observations belonging to the group where partner and product is the
same. The variable "value" is missing for the group members. There are
always different number of observations belonging to the group. I
would like to calculate the missing values for the group members for the
variable "value" using proportions given by the variable trade (for
example when partner=001 & product=9 the value for "a" would be 6
and "b" would be 2).

Thanks a lot for your help,
Miriam