Re: st: Fixed effects ordinal probit regression

From   Chris Rohlfs <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Fixed effects ordinal probit regression
Date   Fri, 5 Sep 2003 08:49:25 -0500 (CDT)

jim,

another possibility you might like to consider is the linear probability
model (or perhaps some ordered choice version).  while the LPM isn't
exactly the most elegant theoretically, it will produce consistent fixed
effects estimates -- and LPM generally produces very similar results to
probit & other binary choice estimation procedures.

random effects will solve the degrees-of-freedom problem -- i.e., that
your observations are not truly independent & so your estimates should
take the autocorrelation into account... random effects will not solve any
problems of omitted variables bias, however.

if you're using a fixed effects model to get around the problem of bias --
that is, that there's some time-invariant characteristic about the people
in your data (anything genetic, for instance) that's correlated with the
regressor of interest, then random effects won't help you -- but the
linear probability model will work.

chris