Re: st: loading a big dataset in Stata

From   Fabrizio Gilardi <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: loading a big dataset in Stata
Date   Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:51:56 +0200

Hello,

I had the same problem with a much smaller dataset (about 5000 observations 50 variables) using Stata 7 for Mac with OS X. The problem disappeared when running Stata with OS 9 (which is possible under OS X), though then the compatibility between Stata and applications running with OS X (in my case Excel) was worsened (e.g. copy from Excel and paste in Stata didn't work).

Hope this helps,

fabrizio

Hi everybody,

I am trying to load a big dataset with approx. 790,000 observations and
170 variables in Stata. I am having trouble loading the data first.  The
data is an SPSS file. I saved the data as a tab-delimited file in SPSS
and tried to open in Stata. However, got the following message:

. insheet using c:\yellisall.dat
no room to add more observations
    An attempt was made to increase the number of observations beyond
what is
    currently possible.  You have the following alternatives:

     1.  Store your variables more efficiently; see help compress.
(Think of
         Stata's data area as the area of a rectangle; Stata can trade
off
         width and length.)

     2.  Drop some variables or observations; see help drop.

     3.  Increase the amount of memory allocated to the data area using
the set
         memory command; see help memory.
error in line 86591 of file
r(901);

Can anyone help me with this, please?

Thank you very much!

Shqiponja

Shqiponja Telhaj,
PhD student,
Department of Economics,
--

Fabrizio Gilardi
Institut d'Etudes Politiques et Internationales

Bureau 5123
Phone: +41 21 692 31 48
Fax: +41 21 692 31 45
E-mail: [email protected]