Re: st: Fixed effects ordinal probit regression

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Fixed effects ordinal probit regression
Date   Fri, 05 Sep 2003 09:46:10 +0100 (BST)

James,

Quoting Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>:

> James Shaw wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if there is such a thing as fixed effects ordinal
> probit
> > regression.  If so, could one simply add dummy variables for the
> panel
> > indicator (e.g., subject id) to the ordinal probit model to obtain
> fixed
> > effects estimates?  Also, when estimating a fixed effects
> regression model
> > with a subject-level effect, how problematic is it if there are
> missing
> > observations on the dependent variable for some subjects (i.e.,
> unbalanced
> > panels)?

---

> By analogy to -areg , absorb()-, it seems feasible to create dummy
> (indicator) variables for the panel identifier with -oprobit-, but
> doing
> this in an ordered categorical regression risks having "note: [X]
> observations completely determined.  Standard errors questionable."
> at the
> bottom of the -oprobit- output.  This would raise suspicions about
> Wald
> tests, although in a test case that I tried out where this happens
> (see
> do-file below), the Wald test agrees well with the corresponding
> likelihood
> ratio test.  If panels are dropped due to collinearity in fitting
> the full
> model, then likelihood-ratio testing with the reduced (nested)
> models is
> problematic unless the same panels are fortuitously dropped in the
> latter.
>
> When observations are missing, handling the panel as a fixed effect
> seems to
> be mechanically possible--in the test case, -oprobit- attained
> convergence
> and didn't seem to drop any panels with a missing value--but it
> might be
> worthwhile to perform Monte Carlo simulations in order to determine
> whether
> hypothesis testing and parameter estimates behave as expected in
> such a
> circumstance before using -oprobit- on an unknown dataset with
> missing
> observations.
>
> -oprobit , cluster()- might serve as an alternative in some
> circumstances.
> With enough panels, another alternative would be to consider the
> panel as a
> random effect, and use -reoprob- or -gllamm-.
>
> Joseph Coveney

There's another issue here as well, which is that a fixed effects ordered
probit may not be consistent.

In a posting to the list back in June, Eduardo Nakasone quoted from the
Stata manual:

"There is no command for a conditional probit fixed-effects model, as
there does not exist a sufficient statistic allowing the fixed effects to
be conditioned out of the likelihood. Unconditional fixed-effects probit
models may be estimated with the probit command with indicator variables
for the panels... However, unconditional fixed fixed-effect estimates are
biased".

I haven't checked up on this, but I have strong suspicion that if a fixed
effects probit is not consistent, then a fixed effects ordered probit
won't be consistent either.

--Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3008
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient
you are prohibited from using any of the information contained
in this e-mail.  In such a case, please destroy all copies in
your possession and notify the sender by reply e-mail.  Heriot
Watt University does not accept liability or responsibility
for changes made to this e-mail after it was sent, or for
viruses transmitted through this e-mail.  Opinions, comments,
conclusions and other information in this e-mail that do not
relate to the official business of Heriot Watt University are
not endorsed by it.