st: How Do I Plot a Serset?

From   "German Rodriguez" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: How Do I Plot a Serset?
Date   Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:51:30 -0400

Roger Newson had a request for examples of using sersets, but I haven't
yet seen any replies.  Like him, I read the documentation on sersets.
The help file says they are used extensively by the graphics system and
refers to the graphics manual. But the manual's index has no entry for
sersets, and my browsing so far has yielded no results.

My interest arose out of missing c(s), the spline option of connect in
the old graphics system.  As far as I can see, the option is gone. (I
know I can use gr7, but that misses the point.) The option was nice
because one could evaluate a log-likelihood function of a scalar
parameter at half-a-dozen points, and then plot a nice smooth curve with
just a few keystrokes.

Looking at sersets I discovered a promising command, serset
create_cspline, which seems to compute everything one would need to do
spline interpolation. I managed to turn my y and x variables into a
serset, and then used serset create_cspline y x to interpolate with a
default of five points between pairs of x's, which is most excellent.

But how do I plot the serset? Could we pretty please have an example
showing how to do a line plot of y and x from a user-defined serset?  Of
course it would be even nicer if someone created a spline connectstyle,
so we could go back to using c(s). Dare I ask?

Cheers,
Germ�n Rodr�guez