st: RE: Re: matrix row/col names

From   "Jann, Ben" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: matrix row/col names
Date   Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:49:25 +0200

John asks:
> > I've got two related questions regarding column and row names.
> > (1) How can I replace the 'jth' column name only?
> > (2) How can I save as a macro the 1st j column names from a matrix?

Kit answers:
> Answering in reverse order (see [p] macro extended functions):
>
> . qui regress price mpg headroom trunk
>
> . mat v=e(V)
>
> . local names: colnames v
>
> . di "`names'"
> mpg headroom trunk _cons
>
> . local names: subinstr local names "trunk" "elephant"
>
> . di "`names'"
> mpg headroom elephant _cons
>
> . mat coln v= `names'

Using -subinstr- was also my first thought when I read John's questions.
Be aware, however, that this will only work correctly, if the rownames
are unique (option -word- makes it a little better, but not much).

Concering the problem with spaces Nick wrote:
> To develop a key point, you can assign
> a row or column name including one or
> more spaces, but you cannot retrieve
> it (easily).

The following code will probably do (replacing row names):

 mat A = J(2,2,1)
 mat rownames A = "two words" "three more words"
 mat li A
 tempname B
 forv i=1/`=rowsof(A)' {
  if `i'==2 local rnames `"`rnames'"what ever" "'
  else {
   mat `B'=A[`i'..`i',1..1]
   local rnames `"`rnames'"`:rownames(`B')'" "'
   }
  }
 mat rownames A=`rnames'
 mat list A