st: Mime-Version: 1.0

From   Jenny Baxter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Mime-Version: 1.0
Date   Wed, 03 Sep 2003 10:15:05 +1000

Dear Statalist,

I am producing a set of histograms using, for example,

histogram educ, discrete percent addlabel xlabel(1 2 3 9 , valuelabel noticks ) ...

This produces a histogram of my variable (education), showing the percentage in each category.

I have two seemingly minor problems
1 I want to be able to format the label at the top of the bar - currently it mostly formats to 2 decimal points, but this isn't consistent, and I really only want one decimal point. Can I do this?
2 The education variable on the x-axis is plotted as if it is ordinal in that it allows space on the axis for all values between 3 and 9, even though these are not even valid values of the variable. Do I have to recode the variable, or is there another one to make the categories be treated as nominal?

I have looked through online help, the manuals and more widely on the Internet and haven't found the answers anywhere.

Regards,
Jennifer Baxter
PhD Candidate
Demography and Sociology