st: Re: SAS -> Stata

From   Christopher F Baum <>
Subject   st: Re: SAS -> Stata
Date   Thu, 28 Aug 2003 06:57:02 -0400

On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 02:33 AM, Kevin wrote:

I believe the below do-file should generate the data that SAS would
generate. The only problem I could not solve was how to get the last
observations exactly like it appeared in SAS. If you could explain what the
below syntax does in SAS I believe I could recreate the results in Stata.

Below is the do-file.

local logmax = log(360)

local inc = ((1+`logmax')/499.9)

local obs = 0

generate logtime = .

local logmax = `logmax' + `inc'

forvalues i = -1(`inc')`logmax' {

local obs = `obs' + 1

qui set obs `obs'

qui replace logtime = `i' in `obs'

gen months = exp(logtime)

gen year = months/12

This can (and probably should) be done without an explicit loop. Loops are familiar to SAS users, but hardly appropriate in Stata's syntax:

set obs 501
scalar logmax = log(360)
g obs = _n
g double inc = -1