st: RE: Data managment- group characteristics

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Data managment- group characteristics
Date   Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:25:31 +0100

Suppose I'm the second oldest child in my family,
which is true, but say the 42nd oldest child
in my neighbourhood. Excluding my older brother,
therefore, my rank changes to 41st.

Therefore, isn't this just computable from

order in neighbourhood - order in family + 1

egen norder = rank(age), by(nid)
egen forder = rank(age), by(family)
egen myorder = norder - forder + 1

Asadullah