st: Graphing Frustrations

From   Benjamin Hulley <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: Graphing Frustrations
Date   Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:43:50 -0700

Hello Statalisters!

I think I have an easy question for someone out there. I have produced a data set by merging several databases and I would like to produce simple summary graphs of some of the variables. However every time I try to produce a bar graph or histogram I get the following error:

. graph box drinkalc
invalid syntax
invalid syntax
invalid syntax
invalid syntax
invalid syntax

this particular variable has the following attributes:

. desc drinkalc
storage display value
variable name type format label variable label
drinkalc byte %8.0g missingdata
Ever drink alcohol

In trying to ferret out the solution I have produced bar graphs successfully from other data sets, including the precursors to the one I am currently using. In fact, running - graph bar drinkalc - from its precursor produces the correct graph. I've been to the statalist archives and looked up the error code with no luck. I think I'm missing something obvious, does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks for any tips in advance,

Ben Hulley

UCSD Statin Study

* For searches and help try: