st: RE: Question about match merge on name

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Question about match merge on name
Date   Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:32:20 +0100

Scott Talkington

> I wonder if anyone on the list has advice about matching
> two databases on
> first, last and middle name and birth date (as well as
> gender and race).
> The size of the two files is around 400,000 observations
> (although they
> aren't matched 1 to 1) so correction of misspellings,
> transpositions, etc.
> by inspection is sort of ruled out.  I have done some
> editing by searching
> for breaks or spaces in the name field that might be name
> extensions like
> "JR." etc, and have also transformed the name fields in
> both files to upper
> case.  I then did a match on the 3 initials plus birth
> date, and have
> identified the subset of matches where at least the last
> name and birth date
> are identical.
>
> However, I suspect there are quite a few more matches to be
> gleaned.  Are
> there utilities that can facilitate this process?  Any
> tricks and tips?

Bill Gould worked on personal name questions a while back.

. search extrname

That may help directly or indirectly.