st: replicate weights using svr commands in Stata8

From   Susan Donath <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: replicate weights using svr commands in Stata8
Date   Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:49:54 +1000

Dear Statalisters

I have a query about the svr programs.
I am using a dataset containing unit record data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). The ABS provides a set of 30 replicate weights for each case in the dataset. According to their documentation, the estimated standard error of an estimate can be found using the following formula :

SE(y) = sqrt( 29/30 S ( y(g) - y )*( y(g) - y ) )

where y(g) is the gth estimate of the parameter y using the gth set of replicate weights
and y is the estimate of the parameter using the full person weight

The supplied dataset includes a person weight for each case, but no information on strata or psu.

I assume that I can use the svr programs to calculate standard errors but I can't quite figure out the exact syntax of the command. I assume that I need to use the brr version of svrset, but this requires me to enter a number of degrees of freedom, and I don't understand what this refers to.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Susan Donath

(I've tried emailing Nick Winter, the author of svr, but the emails keep bouncing)

Susan Donath

Senior Research Fellow
Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics Unit
Murdoch Children's Research Institute & University of Melbourne Department of Paediatrics
Royal Children's Hospital
Parkville, Vic. 3052. AUSTRALIA

E-mail: [email protected]
Tel. 9345 4742 Fax 9345 6000
All numbers area code 03 or international prefix +6

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/