st: probit/linear vs. treatreg

From   "Mark Schaffer" <>
Subject   st: probit/linear vs. treatreg
Date   Fri, 8 Aug 2003 17:46:28 +0100

Can you describe the two-step estimation procedure you're using and
what you're doing with -treatreg-?

-treatreg- is a system estimator for a 2-equation system in which
there is an equation for an endogeneous 1/0 variable, and an equation
for a continuous dep var in which the endog 1/0 variable appears on
the RHS.

If you run -treatreg- with the -twostep- option, it first estimates
the equation for the 1/0 variable using a probit, and then estimates
the equation for the continuous dep var a la Heckman.  This sounds
like what you're doing by hand, so I'm not sure why there should be a
difference.  Perhaps you ran -treatreg- without the -twostep- option?
This would mean -treatreg- is doing a maximum likelihood estimation
of the system, and so the results would indeed be different from a
two-step estimation.