st: RE: testing differences of proportions

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: testing differences of proportions
Date   Fri, 8 Aug 2003 16:41:35 +0100

[email protected]

> I need to find a test to evaluate whether the difference of
> proportions by
> groupvar is statistically significant.
> Specifically, my variable of interest is a 0-1 variable, 1
> for children that
> died before the age of 1 and 0 otherwise. I want to see if
> the proportion of
> deaths that i get for the first income quintile of the
> populations is
> different from the proportion for the 5th quintile.
> Do you know of any reference on line that i could read for
> this? And, is
> there a command on STATA that allows me to do this
> directly? (something
> equivalent to the ttest but for dichotomous variables)

First, -search- lets you search what is built into
Stata on any topic, given the apparent absence of
a manual.

In this case,

-prtest- ?
-epitab- ?