[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date index][Thread index]
st: RE: Coping with strings longer than 80 variables
> I have a dataset containing open ended questions that were
> captured verbatim. As a result, when I try to open the
> dataset I keep getting an error message saying "data
> contains strings longer than 80 characters". Given that I
> can't even get the dataset open and running, what can I do
> about this string variable?
As the version of Stata you are using won't allow
string variables longer than 80 characters, you
will need to use a version of Stata which does,
or fix this outside Stata.
I don't think there is another Stata solution, except
possibly by writing a program using -file-.
Some other possibilities are
* doing something in whatever generated this to split
or shorten your variables
* fixing this with Stat-Transfer or DBMS/Copy
* writing a script in Perl, Python or some other
* fixing the problem in a text editor.
* For searches and help try: