st: AW: Survival with time varying covariates

From   "Jann, Ben" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: AW: Survival with time varying covariates
Date   Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:06:42 +0200

Assume -id- indicates the subjects (in all datasets), -a.dta- contains your demographic data, -b.dta- and -c.dta- are the marker1 and marker2 datasets, respectively. The variables -m1- and -m2- contain the values of the measurements of the markers 1 and 2, respectively. -t- ist the time of measurement in both marker datasets, -time- is the time of the event (in a.dta), -fail- indicates failure event vs. censored, x1, x2 ... are covariates. To summarize:

a.dta: id time fail x1 x2 ...
b.dta: id t m1
c.dta: id t m2

If you only want to use one marker, do the following:

 . use b
 . sort id t
 . save bb, replace
 . use a
 . sort id
 . joinby id using bb
 . sort id t             /* just to be sure */
 . by id: replace time=t[_n+1] if _n!=_N
 . by id: replace fail=0 if _n!=_N

If the measurement of the marker has occured after time zero, you can either assume that the marker has been constant up to the first measurement (A) or treat the case to be left censored (B).

 . stset time, id(id) failure(fail)
 . stcox m1 x1 x2 ...

B:

 . stset time, id(id) failure(fail) enter(t)
 . stcox m1 x1 x2

If you need to use both markers, things are a little more complicated. First combine b.dta and c.dta, fill in some gaps and joinby (assuming that there are no simultaneous measurements of marker1 and marker2; you'd have to modify the code if there are simultaneous measurements):

 . use b
 . append using c
 . sort id t
 . by id: replace m1=m1[_n-1] if m1==.
 . by id: replace m2=m2[_n-1] if m2==.
 . save bc, replace
 . use a
 . sort id
 . joinby id using bc
 . sort id t             /* just to be sure */
 . by id: replace time=t[_n+1] if _n!=_N
 . by id: replace fail=0 if _n!=_N

Then, again the two possibilities A (constant) and B (left censored):

 . gsort id -t
 . by id: replace m1=m1[_n-1] if m1==.
 . by id: replace m2=m2[_n-1] if m2==.
 . sort id t
 . stset time, id(id) failure(fail)
 . stcox m1 m2 x1 x2 ...

B:

 . stset time, id(id) failure(fail) enter(t)
 . stcox m1 m2 x1 x2 ...

I hope this works. Didn't test it.

ben