st: pivot capability in Stata?

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: pivot capability in Stata?
Date   Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:01:59 -0400

Dear Statalisters,
As an inexperienced user trying to wean himself from EXCEL, I have a chart
in the form:

date    clinic    count
1/1/93    A     2
1/2/93    B     3
1/2/93    A     1
1/2/93    C     4
1/5/93    C     3
1/6/93    A     1
1/7/93    B     2
1/8/93    B     4
1/8/93    A     3
1/10/93  B     2

and would like to replace my (saved) dataset with:

date        A       B       C       Grand Total
1/1/93    2        0        0        2
1/2/93    1        3        4        8
1/3/93    0        0        0        0
1/4/93    0        0        0        0
1/5/93    0        0        3        3
1/6/93    1        0        0        1
1/7/93    0        2        0        2
1/8/93    3        4        0        7
1/9/93    0        0        0        0
1/10/93  0        2        0        2
Total      7        11       7      25

(Assume many more columns, and notice the included dates with no activity.)
I'd consider using working on the listed output of

tabulate date clinic [freq=count], or a similar use of xtab,

but my table is very long, and I'm wondering if there is a clean way to do
this.
Aside from 'contract', are there other commands that replace the dataset
with a transformed one?
Thanks in advance,

Howard