st: RE: moving average calculations in STATA?

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: moving average calculations in STATA?
Date   Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:09:47 +0100

David Brat

> I need to calculate a new variable which takes
> the std. dev. of the previous 80 observations of an
> existing variable.
> I have tried the egen and called in for help and reached a dead end.
> I have also tried the egen using "in -80/l" and this did not work.

I believe that -mvsumm- by Kit Baum and myself will serve.
Install it from SSC using -ssc- in Stata 7 or Stata 8.

There is no reason, incidentally, to expect that invoking -in- once
implements moving windows. -in- just selects a fixed
observation range, once and once only.