re: st: serset limits are wimpy

From   "Dimitriy V. Masterov" <>
Subject   re: st: serset limits are wimpy
Date   Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:41:09 -0500 (CDT)

I agree with you that this is a problem. However, I have been able to get
around Stata's limitation occasionally by:

(1) saving my individual by-ten-categories graphs as ps files,
(2) turning them all into A SINGLE pdf file using a program like Adobe's,
(3) and then using Adobe Distiller to print that resulting pdf file into a
    new file with multiple pages per sheet.

I realize that this is not a very good solution in the long run, but it's
been useful to me from time to time.

Dimitriy V. Masterov

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, David Airey wrote:

> Maybe I've not explained myself. If you do a graph twoway command:
> graph tw (line y x) (line y2 x) ... (line y10 x),
> where for certain reasons you cannot -by- the graph across 10 groups,
> each of those line plots constitutes a serset in Stata (set of data
> held in memory by Stata to use in a graph).
> Now, ANYTIME you have > 99 sersets you will break Stata's abilities to
> graph what you want. So in the graph command above, if you tried to
> combine 9 graphs you'd be fine. But if you try to combine 10, Stata
> fails.
> To me this seems like a very low limit of sersets for graph combine. A
> full page graphic with 20, 10-line graphs is completely readable when
> saved to .eps format and printed at high resoultion (e.g., publication
> quality). Yet I cannot do this within Stata because of the serset
> limitation of 99.
> -Dave
> *
> *   For searches and help try: