st: permutation and group structure

From   David Airey <>
Subject   st: permutation and group structure
Date   Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:42:13 -0500

If I have 25 groups each with approx. 40 units each, and I want to re-order the data to get an empirical distribution of probabilities for a model (continuous response, one fixed effect, one random effect for group), what Stata commands should I be looking to? I understand Stata does nifty things with survey data where strata are a common concern, though I'm not too familiar with their use Is there an easy way to tell Stata to permute so that group is respected? That is, I don't think I want to re-order the data such that units change groups.

* For searches and help try: