st: RE: please help me with noixlabel

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: please help me with noixlabel
Date   Sun, 20 Jul 2003 19:14:38 +0100

Dimitriy V. Masterov

> I am having a problem with making a bar chart. I consulted
> the graphics
> manual and tried every combination I could think of, but it
> was all in
> vain. I would be most grateful if someone could please help
> me out with this.
>
> The command I have been using is:
>
> graph bar testscore, over(sex) over(race) by(age)
>
> The problem I am having is that when Stata stacked the
> plots by age on top
> of each other, the x axis in every single plot is labeled,
> which takes up
> a lot of valuable room. I would like to only label the
> bottom plot (for age=max(age)).
>
> I tried using the "noixlabel" option like this:
>
> graph bar testscore, over(sex) over(race) by(age, cols(1) )
> noixlabel;
>
> I also tried putting "noixlabel" in every place I could
> think of. The
> problem with the graphics manual is that there is no
> example of how this
> suboption can be implemented. Can someone please point me
> in the right direction?

I played with this, and couldn't get
all you want. But a subtlety here is that the
axis of concern is a categorical x axis,
not an x axis, strict sense. You can suppress
the labels by e.g. over(sex, label(nolabels))
but that perhaps goes too far the other way.

Alternatively

over() over() over()

puts everything on one image.

Nick