Re: st: PDF Stata 8 manuals (and other issues of concern of graduatestudents)

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: PDF Stata 8 manuals (and other issues of concern of graduatestudents)
Date   Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:01:09 -0700 (PDT)

Renzo,

you raise some very insightful points.  I want to respond, respectfully,
to only one.  However, this response is not just to your posting, but to
several postings that have remarked about the manuals being expensive. My
response may be more applicable to graduate students than to others, as
you'll see below (I hope).

I don't always think about things this way, but perhaps this will make
paying the cost of the manuals easier for some people.  In short, just a
thought: Why not think of these purchases as investments? Assume the
manuals cost "x".  That is the initial outlay.  With that investment one
acquires capital, which, by combining it with the software, one's data,
and using it, one can develop two things--1)a set of statistical
results one might write up and 2)skills one can use in the future.

The set of statistical results is a product, and will have a limited time
of relevance.  Publishing that product may help one obtain a job, obtain a
promotion, or something like that, and thus could be monetized (i.e., one
could calculate the direct monetary return on the investment in the
manuals).  But, the skills are capital themselves (human capital) and thus
can produce an income stream.  It is likely that this income stream will
dwarf the direct return on (and costs of) the manuals very quickly.

It is kind of a truism that initial outlays for things that produce an
income stream might be pricey (to the person making the outlay at the
time).  But, contrast that with the income stream one would have without
the outlay (no stats work or, horrors, programming everything oneself) or
with a less advantageous outlay (i.e., trying to do all the bells and
whistles things one can do with stata with some other package, especially
when one considers all the benefits one has by using software that
hundreds of other people write modules for, and so on, not to mention the
rejected submissions to journals one would accumulate were one unable to
answer "the "criticism by using the model that no one has programmed in
SPSS or SAS yet but the editor wants to see). Seen in this way, the
initial outlay is not very much at all.  We are talking about not x but,
instead (x/all the stuff one will be able to do over the course of one's
use of the software)! :-)

Science is expensive.  Unlike grad students in astronomy who may need
(their advisor) to buy time (for them) at a radio telescope, or grad
students in physics who may need (their advisor) to buy time (for them) at
a particle accelerator, and all the power issues such relations may
produce, all many of us need is just access to a software package and its
manuals, which can be obtained for less than $1000, but probably more like
$500.  Contrasting the scheme of power in the academy and the freedom such
an outlay provides (in a world awash in free social science data), all I
can say is WOW, we've good it GOOOOOOOD!  Why are we complaining about
this?

Just a thought.  I know schooling is expensive, and shows no signs of
falling in price.  But, the manual, like schooling, *is* an investment.
And, the advantage of having the manual (and schooling) is way way way
more than anything stata (or schools) could charge and stay in business.
So, lower prices might be fine, but just be happy stata (and schools)
don't ask for an explicit percentage of the return on the investment.
Now that WOULD be expensive.  :)

Respectfully,

Sam