Re: st: Using the cluster command or GLS random effects?

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Using the cluster command or GLS random effects?
Date   Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:26:32 +0100 (BST)

Joseph,

Quoting Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>:

> Mark Schaffer followed-up Buzz Burhans's response to a question
> about the
> differences between -xtreg, re- and -regress , cluster()-.  Mark
> brought up
> differences in consistency and efficiency between the two methods.
> Excerpting
> Mark's post:

------

> Trade offs:
>
> -xtreg- gives you more efficient estimates if your modelling of the
>
> correlation caused by clustering is correct.  If it isn't, your
> coeffs and
> SEs are wrong.
>
> -regress- with -cluster- gives you consistent estimates across a
> broad
> range of possible forms of the correlation, but they won't be as
> efficient
> as when you know the exact form (and you're right).

------

> I have a follow-up question on consistency:  random effects
> regression gives
> inconsistent results when there is substantial correlation between a
> fixed-
> effect regressor and the random effect; will -regress , cluster()-
> overcome
> this liability and provide consistent estimators when there is a
> correlation
> between a regressor and an (un-modeled) random effect?  As an
> extension, if you
> get a significant Hausman test after -xtreg , re-, would a
> reasonable back-up
> approach--albeit taking a hit in efficiency--be to resort to
> -regress ,
> cluster()-?
>
> Joseph Coveney

Well spotted!  In fact, I think my earlier posting was inaccurate.  The
argument I presented was correct (I hope!) for cluster-robust OLS vs.
random effects GLS.  I mentioned fixed effects in passing, but shouldn't
have.

The case of cluster-robust OLS vs. fixed effects is different.  One way to
see this is to point out that -areg, absorb(id) cluster(id)- estimates a
cluster-robust fixed-effects model, where the fixed effects and the
clustering are based on the same grouping of observations (id in this
case).  What's the consistency-efficiency trade-off here?

-regress, cluster(id)- can still give you consistent coeffs and SEs in the
presence of intra-group correlation, but not when the individual-specific
effect is correlated with the general error term u (i.e., there's an
endogeneity problem).  It is not only consistent but also efficient if the
individual-specific effects are in fact zeros.  Makes sense - if the
individual-specific effects aren't there, you don't lose by leaving them
out.

-areg, absorb(id) cluster(id)- also gives you consistent coeffs and SEs in
the presence of intra-group correlation.  As Joseph points out, it will
still give you consistent estimates even if the individual-specific effects
are correlated with u.  However, if the individual-specific effects are in
fact zeros, then it's less efficient than -regress-, basically because you
waste information trying to accommodate something (the indiv-specific
effects) when they aren't actually there.

...I think I've got it right this time around!

BTW, -xtreg- doesn't allow use of the -cluster- option, which is why -areg-
is needed. The Stata 7 description of -areg- says "See the command xtreg,
fe in help xtreg for an improved version of areg", but in this respect
-areg- is superior.

--Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3008
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient
you are prohibited from using any of the information contained
in this e-mail.  In such a case, please destroy all copies in
your possession and notify the sender by reply e-mail.  Heriot
Watt University does not accept liability or responsibility
for changes made to this e-mail after it was sent, or for
viruses transmitted through this e-mail.  Opinions, comments,
conclusions and other information in this e-mail that do not
relate to the official business of Heriot Watt University are
not endorsed by it.