RE: st: 2SLS with nonlinear exogenous variables

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], "Shaw, Jim (NIH/NCI)" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: 2SLS with nonlinear exogenous variables
Date   Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:48:49 +0100 (BST)

Jim,

Quoting "Shaw, Jim (NIH/NCI)" <[email protected]>:

> Thanks for the response.  Yes, I mean to estimate the equations
> separately.
> My primary concern relates to discussions I have read (e.g.,
> Davidson and
> MacKinnon 1993, pp. 224--226) about the application of the IV
> procedure to
> nonlinear regression models.  My overall sense is that if the
> endogenous
> right-hand side variables are nonlinear (e.g., binary, squared),
> then 2SLS
> will be both inconsistent and inefficient.  In the example I
> provided in my
> previous e-mail, it was the exogenous variables that were nonlinear.
>  I was
> told that 2SLS will still be inefficient when one or more of the
> exogenous
> variables are nonlinear.

I think this is wrong.  There's no problem in particular when the equation
is nonlinear in the exogenous variables.  (Aside from the usual ones, e.g.,
multicollinearity.)

>  However, I have been unable to find any
> literature
> that clearly discusses the issue.

Maybe have a look at Wooldridge's (2002) book on econometric analysis of
cross-section and panel data - I know he has some discussion of issues
relating to nonlinearity.

Cheers,
Mark